Tsim Sha Tsui assault sees two more arrested as total detained rises to nine

1168

31st July 2026 – (Hong Kong) Two more men have been taken into custody in connection with a brutal assault at a Tsim Sha Tsui bar, with police confirming that a 29-year-old and a 30-year-old Nepali national were arrested on suspicion of wounding. The latest arrests bring the total number of people detained in the case to nine.

The incident unfolded in the early hours of Sunday, 26th July, at an upstairs bar in Cambridge House on Cameron Road. A 32-year-old businessman surnamed Yeung, who had been attending a birthday gathering with friends, reportedly became embroiled in a dispute with patrons at a neighbouring table. The altercation, believed to have been fuelled by alcohol and a disagreement over attitude, escalated rapidly into violence.

According to police, the victim was punched and kicked by several attackers for approximately 30 seconds before collapsing unconscious. He was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital with severe head injuries and fractured ribs. After undergoing two brain operations, he remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

Officers from the West Kowloon Regional Crime Unit said the two latest suspects were apprehended in Lok Ma Chau on 29 July and are currently being held for questioning. Earlier arrests in the case have led to charges against several individuals. A 33-year-old man has been charged with wounding with intent, while a 37-year-old man faces a charge of assisting an offender. Both are due to appear at Kowloon City Magistrates’ Courts on 31 July. A 41-year-old man previously charged with assisting an offender appeared in court on 30 July.

Senior Superintendent Ching Chi-yan of the West Kowloon Regional Crime Headquarters said initial investigations indicated that the assailants had triad backgrounds. Given the seriousness of the injuries and the suspected involvement of organised crime elements, the region’s anti-triad squad took over the inquiry. Detectives conducted extensive intelligence analysis and reviewed large volumes of CCTV footage, including material from the city’s surveillance network, enabling them to identify those allegedly involved.

Over the past three days, officers have carried out arrests across multiple districts, including Kowloon City, Tai Po, Tin Shui Wai, Tsuen Wan, Sai Wan and Pok Fu Lam. Those detained, aged between 24 and 46, include individuals suspected of direct involvement in the attack, as well as others accused of assisting the suspects by providing transport, shelter or help in evading capture. Police have seized clothing believed to have been worn during the assault and four vehicles allegedly used to facilitate the suspects’ escape.