Video footage of shooting incident in Peng Chau shared online, police officer tells colleagues ‘I had no other options so I took out the gun’


25th January 2023 – (Hong Kong)  At about 10.41pm yesterday, Police received a noise nuisance report at a unit on Wing On Street, Peng Chau. When police officers sped to scene and conducted investigation, a 43-year-old Filipino man named Oliver suddenly turned emotional, suspectedly assaulted a male police officer with hands, pushed him down the stairs, chased him and attempted to assault him again. Facing threats to life, the male police officer gave verbal warnings to the man but in vain and subsequently fired three shots at him. Sustaining shot wounds to his hand and abdomen, the 43-year-old Filipino was sent to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital by helicopter in conscious state. He is currently in critical condition.

The 43-year-old Oliver graduated from New Era University College in Malaysia and used to run a grocery store in Discovery Bay before operating a beauty shop in Central. He lives on Peng Chau. His friends defended him and said he has never gotten into any fights or trouble after drinking.


Oliver’s friend, a 33-year-old Filipino man allegedly obstructed and assaulted another male police officer with hands. He was arrested for assaulting police officers and obstructing police officers in due execution of their duties, and is being detained for enquiries. Two male police officers, sustaining minor injuries, were sent to Ruttonjee Hospital by helicopter in conscious state.

A video footage of the incident was shared on social media today. After the shooting, the male policeman told his colleagues what happened, including that the suspect tried to strangle his neck, pushed him down and chased after him. He added, “I had no options so I took out the gun immediately.” The 33-year-old Filipino man who was suspected to be a friend of Oliver knelt down to apologise to the male police officer who fired the gun, but was asked by other police officers to back off instead.

Another online footage showed that after the shooting, several police officers came to the scene for reinforcements. Oliver who was shot, was lying on the ground, still conscious at the time and his hands were twitching. Other officers also called to report a shooting.

Investigation by the Regional Crime Unit of Marine is under way. Anyone who witnessed the case or has any information to offer is urged to contact the investigating officers on 3660 8731.

Video footage of the incident was shared on social media