Two females suffer from food poisoning after consuming home-cooked mushrooms

393

23rd February 2021 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today investigating a suspected food poisoning case involving consumption of mushrooms.

 The case involves two females, aged 35 and 66, who developed nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain about half an hour to one hour after consuming recently purchased mushrooms, cooked at home on 22nd February. The patients sought medical attention at Queen Elizabeth Hospital on 22nd February. They are in stable condition.

 The CHP investigations are ongoing and the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department was also alerted to the incident.

   “Mushroom poisoning is generally acute. Common presentations include gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain appearing shortly after ingestion. Depending on the mushroom species, patients may also have other symptoms like profuse sweating, hallucination, coma or other neurological symptoms as well as liver failure. Death may result in severe cases,” a CHP spokesman said.

 “We advise the public to buy mushrooms from reputable and reliable suppliers and not to buy mushroom products which may be mixed with unknown species. Members of the public should not pick wild mushrooms for consumption as it is difficult to distinguish edible mushroom species from inedible ones. Mixing of edible species with inedible or poisonous species of mushroom will not dilute toxicity. Cooking in most cases does not destroy toxicity,” the spokesman added.

  “If mushroom poisoning is suspected, the patient should seek immediate medical attention and bring along any available remnant for identification,” the spokesman said.

Comments