Christmas is about 9 days away but all these stores everywhere in Hong Kong are trying to cash in on consumers who are looking to buy Christmas gifts for their loved ones and friends.
Everything they do is done in order to make as much money on you and Christmas as they can. That’s understandable – they’re in business to make money.
Christmas is important for Christians because it’s a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, a time to enjoy being with our families, and it’s a time to sit back and be thankful for all of the blessings that we’ve been given.
The materialism that has taken over Christmas in our culture, however, makes it easy to make Christmas be all about the gifts even for non-Christians. If you’re not careful it can quickly become the most expensive month of the year. So we are here to suggest the top 10 gifts you can make for your friends and loved ones.
1.Home made cookies and pastries.
2. Framed family and friends pictures (You can buy reasonably priced frames from IKEA and ZARA home). Print out pictures from your camera shops.
3. Set of toiletries. Put together a nice matching set of hand towel and soap dish, and then give some handmade soaps.
4.Netflix subscription. Remember Netflix supports multiple device log-ins. You can simply give them your password!
5. Paint a portrait of your family or do a sketch. You do need to practise a little if you haven’t discovered your talent. If you are not natural born Monet, you can try painting abstract.
6. Host a Christmas party and cook pasta and meat/vegetables bought from the market. Friends and families will come with wines and gifts in return.
7. Custom collage poster/book. Print out all the photos from the past with your family or loved ones and compile them into a family-tree style collage poster/book.
8. Order cheap gifts from Taobao.com. There are plenty of choices you can order online from Taobao for less than half the price in Hong Kong. If you don’t speak the language, ask a friend to help.
9. Hand made Jewellery : Make a handmade necklace or bracelet. You can buy the beads from local craft stores in Sham Shui Po.
10. Compile all family photos/videos into a video and post on social media complete with Christmas wishes.