21st September 2023 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department has issued a warning to the public regarding the consumption of porcini mushrooms sold at a booth during an exhibition in Hong Kong. These mushrooms are suspected to contain a mixture of edible species as well as inedible or poisonous species.
Following a food poisoning case that was reported to the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health, the CFS has initiated investigations. It was found that the affected patient had consumed porcini mushrooms purchased from booth GH-B23 of Judu Yunan at the Food Expo.
In light of these findings, the CFS appeals to individuals who purchased porcini mushrooms from the mentioned booth during the exhibition held from 17th to 21st August to refrain from consuming them. If any symptoms develop after consuming the mushrooms, it is advised to seek immediate medical advice.
Mushroom poisoning is typically acute and can manifest in various symptoms depending on the species and quantity ingested. The incubation period is usually short, and common gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In some cases, additional symptoms such as extreme thirst, profuse sweating, hallucinations, coma, and other neurological effects may occur.
To ensure food safety when purchasing and consuming fresh mushrooms, consumers are advised to take the following precautions:
- Avoid purchasing mushroom products that raise doubts about unknown species being mixed.
- Refrain from buying mushrooms that appear unhygienic (with growing substrates still attached) or show signs of spoilage (such as coloured spots, abnormal odour, or slime).
- Thoroughly wash and cook mushrooms before consumption.
- Seek immediate medical attention if mushroom poisoning is suspected.