28th June 2022 – (London) Italian ace Matteo Berrettini, last year’s runner-up in the men’s singles at the Wimbledon Championships has had to withdraw from this year’s competition after testing positive for COVID-19.
Berrettini is scheduled to start this year’s campaign at the grass-court Grand Slam on Tuesday, but announced his withdrawal a few hours before his first-round match against Cristian Garin of Chile.
“I am heartbroken,” said Berrettini on social media, who lost last year’s final to Novak Djokovic, but has showed his strong ruling on grass again as he claimed back-to-back victories at Stuttgart Open and Queen’s Club earlier this month.
The 26-year-old eighth seed revealed that he has had flu symptoms and been isolating the past few days. “Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.”
“I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel,” said the Italian. “The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger.”
On Monday, the defending champion Djokovic overcame a slow start to see off opening-round opponent Kwon Soon-woo from South Korea 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 and 6-4.