Police deny pursuing the deceased student Chow from HKUST before he fell off to 2nd floor car park in Tseung Kwan O


8th November 2019 – (Hong Kong) Police held a press conference this afternoon to address the death of the 22-year old student Chow from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).  Senior Superintendent (Operations) FOO Yat-ting of Kowloon East Region, Superintendent (Operations) WU Ka-yan, Ewing of Kowloon East Crime Regional Headquarters together with Assistant Chief Ambulance Officer (Kowloon East) LEUNG Kwok-lai of Fire Services Department gave a briefing to media for the incident.

The case has been taken over by East Kowloon District DCS division and police will carry out detailed investigation before presenting it at a Coroner’s Court.

Superintendent (Operations) WU Ka-yan elaborated on 3rd November at 11.54pm, the fire department confirmed that the deceased left his home alone and at 12.26am on 4th November, he walked into the car park at Sheung Tak Estate while there were some rioters barricading the road nearby at 12.23am. The deceased was wandering in the car park between 12.26am and 1am. At 12.41am, police deployed tear gas rounds and firemen entered the carpark after the fire alarm went off at the car park. At around 1.05am, the deceased walked towards Beverly Garden on pedestrian footbridge before returning to the car park 1 minute later. He then stayed at the 2nd floor carpark at 1.02am before walking to 3rd floor. At 1.05am, passerby called firemen after witnessing the deceased falling off from 3rd floor. He was found lying on the 2nd floor.

Wu further said that the police did not pursue him on foot when he fell off and police were aware of the memorial service tonight and this weekend. Police urged all parties to remain calm before reaching any conclusion. In addition, Assistant Chief Ambulance Officer (Kowloon East) LEUNG Kwok-lai said that the ambulance arrived at the 2nd floor carpark at 1.11am and paramedics reached the deceased at around 1.30am before they sent him to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.