Mum left in hospital for days after dog pooed in her face as she slept

2197
Amanda Gommo in hospital.

Bristolpost.co.uk

29th September 2022 – (Bristol) woman spent three days in hospital – after her daughter’s dog accidentally did a poo on her face while she was asleep. Amanda Gommo, 51, was taking an afternoon nap with chihuahua Belle when the pooch became ill and had violent diarrhoea.

The mum-of-three was asleep with her mouth open, top and tailing with Belle, when the messy accident occurred, and some got in her mouth. She ran to the bathroom to be sick but later ended up in hospital with a gastrointestinal infection – passed on from the pet.

Amanda, from Bristol, said: “I was having my afternoon nap with Belle, like I always do, when I suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth. I rushed to the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed it out I had time to take a quick snap!

“It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after. I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”

Amanda’s daughter took Belle to the vet where the pooch was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug and put on antibiotics. But later that day, Amanda started displaying the same symptoms as Belle, so she rung 111 who sent an ambulance to her home.

Paramedics prescribed her painkillers for her stomach cramps and instructed her to drink lots of water to flush out any potential infection. After their visit, her symptoms became progressively worse, and 48 hours later, Amanda’s cramps had spread all over her body.

Amanda’s mum then rang 999 who dispatched another ambulance, and this time she was transported to Bristol Royal Infirmary and immediately hooked up to a drip. There, doctors diagnosed Amanda with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle’s faeces into her mouth days earlier.

She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she’d lost throughout the horrific ordeal. Amanda, who also suffers with Crohn’s disease, said: “From the moment I got ill to when I was put on the drip, I couldn’t eat a thing.

Comments