12th August 2022 – (Lisbon) Portugal has registered a total of 770 confirmed monkeypox cases as of Thursday since the first case reported in May, said the Portuguese Directorate-General for Health (DGS).
The Portuguese health authorities said 60 new cases were confirmed last week, indicating “a decreasing trend in the number of new cases.”
Cases were detected in the Capital Lisbon and Porto, North Portugal, said the DGS. And 43 percent of the infected belong to the 30-39 age group.
The DGS said 99.3 percent of the patients are male, with only five cases reported in women.
Since 16th July, Portugal has started the vaccination for those who had contact with the confirmed monkeypox cases, and 70.2 percent of the eligible contacts have been vaccinated so far.
The DGS said it is “aware of the epidemiological situation, monitoring and adapting, when necessary, the implementation of public health measures, namely concerning vaccination.”
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared monkeypox a public health emergency of international concern on 23rd July.
As of Sunday, the WHO said 27,814 cases have been reported globally. Portugal is among the 10 countries most affected by the disease, with the United States (7,510), Spain (4,577) and Germany (2,887) topping the list.