Marco Leung, protester in yellow raincoat who fell to his death at Pacific Place was released on bail in a ‘Loco London Gold Fraud’ case


20th May 2021 – (Hong Kong) During the anti-extradition protests in 2019, Marco Leung Ling-kit who wore a yellow raincoat fell from the top of Pacific Place on 15th June 2019 and died.

The coroner’s inquiry resumed today (20th), and several witnesses were summoned to give statement based on the evidence found at the scene.

Detective Inspector Ho Chun-yuen pointed out that the police received multiple reports from citizens from 2017 to 2018, alleging that they were defrauded in  “Loco London Gold Fraud”.

After the investigation, two investment companies were found to be involved. The deceased Leung worked as an investment broker in one of the investment companies involved, and was granted bail pending investigation by the police on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud.

Donna Lai, a pharmacist from the Department of Health, confessed that at the request of the police, the pill in the rucksack of the deceased was inspected. The pill found was Codipront and it contains 30 mg of codeine and 10 mg of benzphenolamine which is a codeine with analgesic and sedative purposes. Benzphenolamine is an anti-allergic drug. Codipront is mainly used to relieve cough. Side effects include palpitations, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness. The pills involved were capsule pills in a row of 10 capsules, but only 3 capsules remained. Lai said that if Leung took 7 capsules at a time, it would cause a severe overdose.

The Chief of Cyber Security and Technology Crime Bureau (CSTCB), Lau said that on 19th June, 2019, he inspected the deceased’s iPhone 5, iPhone 7 and two phone cards in the two mobile phones, and saved the information on a CD-ROM.

Constable Tsang of the Central Police Station’s Miscellaneous Investigation Team stated that the deceased’s mobile phone had no browsing history on the day of the incident, but the victim searched Google for “Admiralty Jumping” on 13th June. His iPhone5 received multiple WhatsApp messages on the day of the incident, but the deceased only responded to the contact person named “Daisy 612”, and he only replied ‘pretty’ to the photos she sent.

At nearly 12 o’clock in the morning on the day of the incident, the deceased’s iPhone 5 had received a call from the deceased’s iPhone 7’s phone number, but the caller ID was set to “Hannah” wit two heart-shaped emoticons.