Many areas including Sha Tin, Tin Shui Wan, Mong Kok and Tseung Kwan O set on fire, MTR stations and shops damaged, police fire warning shot in Yau Ma Tei

Tseung Kwan O

9th November 2019 – (Hong Kong) Many memorial gatherings were held last night after Alex Chow, the 22-year-old student from HKUST passed away yesterday morning. Over 1,000 people assembled at Sheung Tak Estate Car Park to lay flowers and they also lit candles to pay their last respect to the deceased. There was also a Christian memorial service held at Kwun Tong Promenade where over 500 people participated.

As usual, all peaceful gatherings nowadays normally evolve eventually into violent clashes towards the end of the night. Many rioters barricaded roads, set fire to objects, damage MTR stations and shops yesterday evening. The MTR logo at Mong Kok MTR Station was vandalised while some shops around the area were also damaged. Mong Kok MTR station was closed thereafter. According to sources, a police officer fired a warning shot in Yau Ma Tei after rioters threatened his life by hurling bricks at him continuously. Police reminded the public to return the bullet shell to them if it is found.

In Sha Tin, rioters clad in black set up a roadblock on Sha Tin Wai Road and they set fire to another barricade erected on the road in front of City One Plaza. A distribution board was also set on fire at the junction of Tong Ming Street and Tong Chun Street in Tseung Kwan O. Rioters used water-filled barricades and traffic cones to block Tuen Mun Road, they set fire to the pedestrian footbridge linking Tuen Mun Town Plaza and the Light Rail MTR Station. At least 2 rioters were arrested.

Meanwhile in Tin Shui Wai, rioters hurled petrol bombs at Tin Shui Wai Police Station while police retaliated by firing tear gas rounds. At around 12.30am today, rioters armed with bricks, stones, fire extinguishers and bicycles stormed into Popcorn Mall in Tseung Kwan O to damage many shops including those owned by Maxim and 360 Best Mart. They set fire to the stocks inside the shops. Rioters also flooded an exit at Tseung Kwan O MTR Station.

At around 2am, over 500 rioters set up barricade on Tong Ming Street in front of Sheung Tak Plaza in Tseung Kwan O. Riot police fired tear gas rounds and arrested many rioters. Police also pepper-sprayed rioters near Beverly Garden. A man was also assaulted for over 5 minutes near Beverly Garden and sustained injuries on many body parts. Riot police fired several rounds of rubber projectiles at the rioters. A vehicle belonging to a local media was vandalised outside Kwong Ming Court in Tseung Kwan O. Rioters subsequently dispersed at around 4am.

A man was also assaulted for over 5 minutes near Beverly Garden and sustained injuries on many body parts.

Elsewhere in Tai Po, rioters set fire to the road outside Tai Po Megamall. Riot police fired tear gas rounds at rioters at the junction of Nathan Road and Soy Street in Mong Kok at around 1am. Some set fire to debris and objects near the junction of Nathan Road and Argyle Street. A man used a brick to shatter the window of a taxi and the driver was assaulted before lying in a pool of blood. Some other rioters ‘crowdfunded’ his repair fees and put the money on the car hood.

At 2.40am today, a 33-year-old man, Wong was assaulted by other others with umbrellas near Tong Ming street in Tseung Kwan O. A 58-year-old man and 29-year-old woman were arrested by police for assault causing bodily harm.

At around 3.40am, another group of rioters gathered on Pedder Street in Central and a 15-year-old teenager blocked the road with traffic cones and other objects. Riot police arrived at the scene and arrested the teenager who fell during pursuit. He was then sent to Queen Mary Hospital for further treatment.

Distribution board set on fire on Tong Ming Street in Tseung Kwan O.
Police fired a shot in Yau Ma Tei
Police fired a shot in Yau Ma Tei

The partition board in front of Arome Bakery owned by Maxim’s was removed before being vandalised in Tsuen Wan yesterday.
Rioters destroyed public amenities at multiple MTR Stations including Tsuen Wan MTR Station.
Rioter sprayed water using fire hose in MTR Station.
Gate at Tseung Kwan O MTR Station was set on fire.
Maxim’s cakes shop was destroyed at Popcorn Mall.