Man assaulted and robbed of HK$3.6 million in Sheung Shui en route to Macao casino

AI-generated image for illustration purpose only.

28th February 2024 – (Hong Kong) During this afternoon, a man was assaulted and robbed of a bag containing HK$3.6 million. The incident occurred in a pedestrian tunnel near Yick Yuen, Sheung Shui Wai. According to reports, the victim, a 61-year-old man surnamed Chu, had been entrusted with a substantial sum of money by his son-in-law and others. It is believed that the victim intended to deliver the funds to a casino in Macau for gambling purposes when he was ambushed along the way.

The victim, received approximately £44,000 and US$40,000 (equivalent to around HK$740,000) from his 38-year-old son-in-law earlier in the day. He then proceeded to a currency exchange shop located in Chungking Mansions in Tsim Sha Tsui to convert the money. At the exchange shop, an individual handed him approximately HK$2.852 million. The victim placed the total sum of HK$3.6 million in a black backpack and boarded the MTR to return home. However, at around 11.50am, while passing through the Yick Yuen pedestrian tunnel, he was suddenly attacked from behind by two unidentified men. They forcibly snatched the backpack and a mobile phone before fleeing the scene. Despite a thorough search conducted by responding officers, the culprits could not be found. The case has since been transferred to the Serious Crime Unit of the New Territories North Region for further investigation. It is worth noting that the victim originally intended to hand over the substantial amount of money to his son-in-law, who would then proceed to the Macao casino.

The injured victim was promptly transported to a nearby hospital for medical treatment.

The incident occurred on 28th February, around 11.54am, when a man reported to the police that his father-in-law had been attacked by two men in the entrance of a pedestrian tunnel near Yick Yuen in Sheung Shui Wai. The assailants assaulted him and made off with a bag containing HK$3.6 million in cash. Despite an immediate search operation launched by the police, the robbers managed to escape without a trace. The police have classified the incident as a robbery and have assigned the Serious Crime Unit of the New Territories North Region to handle the case. The victim sustained minor injuries to his left face and lips, and complained of chest pain. He was promptly taken to North District Hospital for treatment. The police are currently on the lookout for two suspects, described as being approximately 1.7 to 1.8 meters tall, wearing black jackets and face masks at the time of the incident.