4th April 2020 – (Hong Kong) A 46-year-old male Sergeant who is stationed in Kowloon West Region was preliminarily tested positive for the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Posted to the Police Tactical Unit, he participated in anti-crime patrols and crowd management operations, and had no travel history over the past 14 days. He felt unwell on 2nd April and sought medical treatment at a public hospital and was preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19 last night (April 3).
In the interest of public health, Police have deployed the following measures:
1. While awaiting further assessment and recommendation by the Department of Health (DH), all officers from the same unit will be arranged to work from home;
2. All officers working in the Police Tactical Unit Kowloon West Operational Base are required to wear masks, and everyone entering police stations needs to have their body temperature measured in order to ensure health and safety;
3. All police station facilities and quarters concerned have been cleaned and sterilised;
4. Police will deploy resources flexibly to ensure provision of relevant emergency services remains unaffected;
5. Police have reminded officers to pay attention to personal hygiene and reduce social contact to minimise risks of infection. If feeling unwell, they should consult a doctor and report the case.
Police will continue to maintain close communication with the DH and proactively provide information such as the duty record and roster of the Sergeant concerned. Arrangements will be made for close contacts to be conveyed to quarantine centres to undergo quarantine.