Hong Kong police arrest 17-year-old in connection with triad-linked assault case in Mong Kok


22nd February 2024 – (Hong Kong) In the early hours of February 19th, a violent altercation took place in Mong Kok, Hong Kong, involving a male driver and several individuals over a pedestrian crossing dispute. The driver was surrounded and brutally attacked, enduring assaults that included blows to the head and “flying kicks.” Following the incident, the police arrested two individuals, who claimed to be members of the notorious Shui Fong triad, on charges of assault and criminal damage. The arrested individuals, identified as a 46-year-old man surnamed Lai and a 43-year-old man surnamed Wan, have affiliations with the Wo On Lok or Shui Fong triad.

Today, the police announced that they have made further progress in their investigation. Last night, in the Mong Kok area, they arrested a 17-year-old local male, who is suspected of identifying himself as a triad member, as well as being involved in the assault and criminal damage. The teenager is currently under detention for investigation. The two previously arrested individuals have been granted bail and are required to report to the police in late March. The police operation is still ongoing, and it is not ruled out that more arrests will be made.

The incident unfolded when a 30-year-old man surnamed Lee, driving a private vehicle along Mong Kok Road, encountered a pedestrian whom he believed had violated traffic rules. Lee parked his car and engaged in an argument with the pedestrian. The pedestrian claimed to be a triad member and was soon joined by three other men. Together, they assaulted Lee physically and damaged his private vehicle before fleeing the scene. Following investigations by the Anti-Triad Section of the Mong Kok Police District, the 43-year-old man surnamed Wan and the 46-year-old man surnamed Lai were arrested in Mong Kok. Wan was identified as the man involved in the pedestrian crossing incident.

Video footage of the incident circulated online, revealing a white private car parked near Tung Choi Street on Mong Kok Road. At least three individuals surrounded a man in a white shirt, relentlessly attacking him. One individual wearing a cap and another with golden hair repeatedly punched the man in the face, using profanity while the individual with golden hair even resorted to “flying kicks.” Another man in a black shirt joined the assault, delivering a punch to the man in the white shirt, causing him to fall to the ground defenceless, using his hands to shield his head. At one point, someone attempted to drag him to continue the attack but was restrained by others present. The assailants then brazenly roamed the street, while the victim managed to occupy a nearby vehicle and escape to report the incident at 36, Fa Yuen Street. He sustained facial injuries and was taken to Kwong Wah Hospital for treatment.