29th November 2023 – (Hong Kong) A guide dog in Hong Kong named Funny lost its life this month, sparking an investigation into its sudden demise. The dog was found unconscious at a shopping centre in Tseung Kwan O on the 13th of the month, but sadly, the veterinary clinic’s efforts to resuscitate it proved futile.
Hong Kong’s Seeing Dog Services HKSDS) announced on the 29th that preliminary autopsy findings from the City University of Hong Kong’s veterinary school suggest that poisoning could have been the cause of death. The report dispels earlier speculations about the dog’s death from exhaustion, heart disease or genetic causes.
In order to delve deeper into the circumstances surrounding Funny’s untimely death, the HKSDS is seeking legal advice and considering involving the police to collect more evidence. The Centre is deeply saddened by this loss and extends its heartfelt condolences to Joe, the visually impaired individual who relied on Funny, and his family.
The HKSDS highlighted that the report rules out previous speculation about the cause of death, including overwork, heart disease, or genetic factors. In a bid for further investigation, the Centre is seeking legal advice and does not rule out reporting the incident to the police to gather more evidence. It would also report potential environmental factors that may have led to poisoning, such as the use of insecticides or pesticides the dog might have come in contact with.
To further understand the suspected poisoning, the Centre is contemplating sending tissue and cell samples from Funny to a reputable veterinary institution in the United States for chemical analysis. However, since the testing process is time-consuming, the Centre has refrained from commenting on the suspected cause of poisoning at this stage.