Gas stove explosion in Kowloon Tong apartment leaves elderly woman with severe burns

379
Kent Court

3rd December 2023 – (Hong Kong) An explosion suspected to be caused by a gas stove occurred on the evening of December 3rd. The incident took place at a ground-floor unit in Block 5 of Kent Court, located at 5139 Boundary Street, Kowloon Tong. According to reports, a 63-year-old woman suffered severe burns to her left hand and face, prompting her 38-year-old son to immediately report the incident.

Upon receiving the distress call, paramedics swiftly arrived at the scene and provided first aid to the injured woman. They applied a facial mask and covered her burns with cling film before rushing her to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for further treatment. Preliminary investigations indicate that the son was cooking at the time of the explosion. The police are currently examining the cause of the accident.

Authorities have responded promptly to the incident. The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) has dispatched personnel to investigate the incident and determine the underlying factors that led to the explosion. The EMSD is committed to ensuring the safety of residents and will take appropriate measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.