16th September 2023 – (Hong Kong) A yacht caught fire and emitted thick smoke at approximately 12.52pm yesterday afterniib. The incident occurred within a yacht club located at 168 Che Keng Tuk Road. Staff members were taken aback by the sudden blaze and promptly alerted the authorities. Firefighters swiftly arrived at the scene with a fire hose and a team equipped with smoke helmets, successfully extinguishing the flames. Preliminary investigations suggest that the fire originated from a short circuit in the yacht’s refrigerator, with no suspicious circumstances found. Subsequently, the police contacted the 57-year-old French owner of the vessel to gather more information.
Footage provided by readers reveals the yacht engulfed in flames, initially concealed beneath white fabric that was swiftly devoured by the intense fire. A shirtless man hurriedly dragged a hose to the shore, attempting to douse the flames. The video clips captured tense voices shouting, “Water! Water! Water!” and expressing frustration at the lack of force in their efforts. As the situation seemed increasingly uncontrollable, someone urgently called out, “Untie the cable! Untie this one! Quickly, untie the cable!”