Fire breaks out in Lai Choi House, Lai Yan Court in Lai Chi Kok, 3 cats rescued, 200 residents evacuated, 1 man hospitalised

178
Lai Choi House

13th February 2024 – (Hong Kong) At around 1am today, a fire erupted in a lower-level unit of Lai Choi House, located in Lai Yan Court on Lai King Hill Road, Lai Chi Kok. Thick smoke billowed from the premises, prompting multiple residents to report the incident and seek assistance.

Upon receiving the distress calls, the fire department swiftly arrived at the scene, forcibly entering the unit and launching a rapid firefighting operation. The firefighters managed to extinguish the flames promptly. Inside the unit, they rescued three pet cats, employing woollen blankets to wrap the felines and provide them with warmth and oxygen. Unfortunately, one of the cats suffered partial fur burns. Veterinary professionals from the animal welfare organization confirmed that the cats were generally unharmed. Additionally, a 66-year-old male resident surnamed Cheung, living in the unit directly above the one where the fire broke out, experienced smoke inhalation and required medical treatment at a hospital.

Approximately 200 residents took the initiative to evacuate to a safe location during the incident. It has been reported that no one was inside the unit at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire is suspected to be a short circuit in the electrical wiring of the unit, and authorities are currently investigating the exact origin of the blaze.