6th December 2023 – (Hong Kong) In a residential care home situated at Jolly Place, 2 Pui Shing Lane, Tseung Kwan O, a 42-year-old electrician surnamed Ho was reportedly electrocuted and later pronounced dead. The event has led to a temporary work stoppage at the site, following an immediate investigation by the Labour Department.
Ho was a registered electrician, subcontracted by a construction company, and had been employed with his current company for approximately one year. He was working on a renovation project at the elderly care facility within Jolly Place, a job that commenced at 9 in the morning and ended at 5 in the evening, with a daily wage of around HK$1,300.
The unfortunate incident occurred when Ho was working in a pharmacy that had undergone recent refurbishment. His colleagues found him unconscious on a wiring duct approximately three metres high. Despite immediate rescue efforts, Ho was declared dead upon arrival at the hospital.
The management of the residential complex expressed deep concern and sorrow over the incident in response to media inquiries. They extended their heartfelt condolences to the deceased’s family. Ho, being a registered electrician subcontracted by a construction contractor, had the housing association, engineering consultants, and the contractor closely following up on the incident. They pledged full cooperation with the relevant government departments’ investigation efforts.
On 6th December, a spokesperson for the Labour Department expressed their deep sadness over the loss of a worker. They emphasised their high level of concern regarding this accident. Upon learning of the incident, department officials were immediately dispatched to the accident site to initiate an investigation.
The Labour Department has issued a temporary work-stop order to the relevant contractor, thereby halting all electricity-related work at the building. The work stoppage will remain in effect until the department is satisfied that the contractor has taken steps to eliminate related hazards and it is safe to resume work.