CHP investigates suspected porcini mushroom poisoning involving 76-year-old man

220
File photo.

15th April 2024 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of Hong Kong’s Department of Health is currently investigating a case of suspected food poisoning linked to the consumption of porcini mushrooms. The incident involved a 76-year-old man who experienced severe gastrointestinal symptoms shortly after eating the mushrooms.

The patient, who had purchased the mushrooms during a tour in Yunnan, Mainland China, fell ill approximately four hours after consuming them at home on 6th April. Symptoms included diarrhoea, vomiting, and dizziness, leading to his admission to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital on the same day. He has since been treated and discharged in stable condition.

Investigations by the CHP have uncovered that the mushrooms, which were bought unpackaged and without a trademark, contained a mix of edible and over fifty per cent inedible or poisonous species. These harmful varieties retain their gastrointestinal irritants even after cooking, posing serious health risks.

The CHP has alerted the relevant Mainland authorities about the case and continues to monitor the situation closely. They have issued a warning to the public, especially those who might have purchased similar products in Lijiang near Sifang Street, to refrain from consuming them and to seek medical attention immediately if symptoms of mushroom poisoning occur.