CHP investigates suspected food poisoning case related to wild mushrooms involving 2 women

238

25th May 2022 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is investigating today a suspected case of food poisoning related to the consumption of wild mushrooms, and urged the public not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

 The case involves two females aged 36 and 61, who developed abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting about two and a half hours after consuming mushrooms at home on 24th May. They sought medical attention at the Accident and Emergency Department of North Lantau Hospital on the same day and were admitted to the hospital for further management. They have been in stable condition.

Initial investigations revealed that the patients picked the wild mushrooms that they consumed from a hillside somewhere in Tung Chung on 24th May. The CHP’s investigation is ongoing.

“Members of the public should not pick wild mushrooms for consumption as it is difficult to distinguish edible mushroom species from inedible ones,” a spokesman for the CHP said.

“Mushroom poisoning is generally acute. Common presentations include gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain appearing shortly after ingestion. Depending on the mushroom species, patients may also have other symptoms such as profuse sweating, hallucinations, coma or other neurological symptoms, as well as liver failure. Death may result in severe cases,” he added.

 “If mushroom poisoning is suspected, the patient should seek immediate medical attention and bring along any available remnant for identification,” the spokesman said.

Comments