CHP investigates suspected food poisoning case involving 2 victims related to wild mushrooms

232

12th August 2022 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today investigating a suspected case of food poisoning related to the consumption of wild mushrooms, and urged the public not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

The case involves a female aged 47 and a male aged 21, who developed abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting about an hour after consuming mushrooms at home yesterday. They sought medical attention at the Accident and Emergency Department of Kwong Wah Hospital today. They have been in stable condition, and were discharged.

Initial investigations revealed that the patients had consumed wild mushrooms picked from a hillside near Beacon Hill. The CHP’s investigation is ongoing.

“Members of the public should not pick wild mushrooms for consumption as it is difficult to distinguish edible mushroom species from inedible ones,” a spokesman for the CHP said.

 “Mushroom poisoning is generally acute. Common presentations include gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain appearing shortly after ingestion. Depending on the mushroom species, patients may also have other symptoms such as profuse sweating, hallucinations, coma or other neurological symptoms, as well as liver failure. Death may result in severe cases,” he added.

  “If mushroom poisoning is suspected, the patient should seek immediate medical attention and bring along any available remnant for identification,” the spokesman said.

HKSAR Govt Press Release

Comments