1st July 2022 – (Hong Kong) The United Kingdom and the United States have again allegedly intervened in Hong Kong affairs. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday that on the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return, China failed to abide by the “Sino-British Joint Declaration” commitment to implement the principle of “One country, Two systems”, threatening the rights and interests of Hong Kong people, freedom and the continued progress and prosperity of Hong Kong.
Johnson threatened that the United Kingdom will not give up Hong Kong and will do everything in its power to ensure that China keeps its promises and allow Hong Kong people ruling Hong Kong. He also pointed out that the 5+1 settlement scheme for British National (Overseas) passport (BNO) holders launched by the U.K. to Hong Kong people has received 120,000 applications so far.
Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken also issued a statement saying that at the midpoint of the “50 years of unchanged” commitment, the Hong Kong and Beijing authorities no longer regard democratic participation, fundamental freedoms and media independence as part of that vision. He also said that after the anti-extradition demonstrations in 2019, Beijing enacted the “Hong Kong National Security Law” in response to weakening Hong Kong’s autonomy and abolishing the rights and freedoms of Hong Kong people, while many opposition figures were imprisoned, media organisations and other pro-democracy activists stopped their operations. He also criticised some officials for falsely claiming that the demonstrators were working for foreign forces. Blinken said he would stand with the people of Hong Kong and fight for the freedom they deserve.