Armed suspect on the run after shooting incident at Kuala Lumpur International Airport


14th April 2024 – (Kuala Lumpur) Malaysian authorities are intensively searching for a man believed to be armed and dangerous following a shooting at Kuala Lumpur International Airport Terminal 1, which seriously injured a personal bodyguard. The incident, which unfolded in the early hours of 14th April, has raised concerns about public safety.

Selangor Police Chief Commissioner, Hussein Omar Khan, reported that the attack occurred around 1.30am in the airport’s arrival hall. According to his statement, the assailant discharged two shots, one of which hit the bodyguard tasked with protecting the suspect’s wife. The wife was reportedly at the airport to welcome a group returning from an umrah pilgrimage.

Following the shooting, the suspect, identified as 38-year-old Hafizul Harawi, fled the scene. Initial investigations revealed that the attack stemmed from a domestic conflict amidst ongoing divorce proceedings between Harawi and his wife, rather than any terrorist motive.

“This was an isolated incident arising from personal grievances. The airport security and the situation are well under control,” Commissioner Hussein assured.

During a press briefing, Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department Director, Commissioner Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain, elaborated that Harawi, who is also a business partner of the intended victim, has had a contentious legal history, including previous charges for criminal intimidation and impersonation.

The suspect, Harawi.

The police have classified Harawi as highly dangerous and urge the public to remain vigilant. “Anyone with information about Harawi’s whereabouts should contact the authorities immediately and avoid any direct confrontation,” Commissioner Shuhaily advised.

Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain, the director of Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID), expressed his intention to meet with airport officials regarding security concerns. He acknowledged that this was not the first untoward incident to occur at an airport in the region, emphasising the need for a comprehensive assessment of security measures.

However, when confronted with questions about the overall safety at the airport, Comm Mohd Shuhaily downplayed concerns, labeling the incident as a clear-cut case with a specific target—a personal vendetta. He reassured the public that there is no cause for worry regarding airport security at this moment.

The incident in question took place in the arrival hall of KLIA at approximately 1.30am, as reported by Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan. A man fired two shots, one of which struck the victim—a personal bodyguard—resulting in severe injuries.

Meanwhile, Kim Jong-nam, the elder half-brother of North Korea’s dictator Kim Jong Un, met a tragic end on 13th February 2017 when he was assassinated at Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Kim Jong-nam had been residing overseas since his exile from North Korea back in 2003.Share