53-year-old woman suffers from food poisoning after eating wild mushrooms picked from Beacon Hill

315

15th August 2022 – (Hong Kong) The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is investigating today a suspected case of food poisoning related to the consumption of wild mushrooms, and urged the public not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

The case involves a female aged 53, who developed abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting about 15 minutes after consuming mushrooms at home on 13th August. She sought medical attention at the Accident and Emergency Department of Kwong Wah Hospital on the same day and was admitted to the hospital for further management. She has been in a stable condition.

Initial investigations revealed that the patient had consumed wild mushrooms picked from a hillside near Beacon Hill on 13th August. The CHP’s investigation is ongoing.

“Members of the public should not pick wild mushrooms for consumption as it is difficult to distinguish edible mushroom species from inedible ones,” a spokesman for the CHP said.

“Mushroom poisoning is generally acute. Common presentations include gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain appearing shortly after ingestion. Depending on the mushroom species, patients may also have other symptoms such as profuse sweating, hallucinations, coma or other neurological symptoms, as well as liver failure. Death may result in severe cases,” he added.

 “If mushroom poisoning is suspected, the patient should seek immediate medical attention and bring along any available remnant for identification,” the spokesman said.

Comments