3-year-old girl in Tung Chung suspected of accidental ingestion of methamphetamine


27th September 2023 – (Hong Kong) Authorities received a report from staff at Princess Margaret Hospital in Lai Chi Kok today around 1pm, stating that a 3-year-old girl was feeling unwell, raising suspicions of accidental ingestion of dangerous drugs. Upon receiving the report, personnel promptly arrived at the scene and, following preliminary investigations, it is believed that the girl accidentally consumed suspected dangerous drugs at a residential unit in the Tung Chung area.

The case has been categorised as “child abuse or neglect in relation to a child or young person under care” and is currently being followed up by the investigative department of the Sham Shui Po District. No arrests have been made at this time. The girl is currently under observation at the hospital. Reports suggest that she might have mistakenly ingested methamphetamine.

According to reports, the father of the young girl had suspicions about his wife’s drug use as early as July this year. However, lacking firsthand evidence, he did not report the matter to the authorities but sought assistance from social workers instead.

On 19th September, the girl accompanied her father and a social worker to seek medical help at Princess Margaret Hospital due to a high fever. The social worker suggested conducting a urine test on the girl, which revealed the presence of methamphetamine. The family resides in the Tung Chung area, and the father claimed to be unaware of how his daughter came into contact with the drug. He also mentioned that his wife had been occasionally absent from home overnight since the beginning of this month, sometimes returning late at night and leaving again after waking up.